Your Best Headshot
Photographs capture your appearance. You can choose your clothing to project the image you want. Consider your industry, any applicable company standards and how your photo will be used. Do you want formal or casual photos or both?
Select your wardrobe in advance and try on your choices to ensure that they are in good condition, fit properly and work well together. Your confidence in your appearance shines through in your photo. Here are some headshot tips.
What To Wear
- For a classic look. a dark jacket with a light shirt (or blouse) works well. Women might also consider a tailored dress.
- Be aware of patterns and colors. Details such as hound’s tooth tend to look wonky online. And bright colors or bold patterns tend to dominate the image and take attention away from your face.
- Choose your accessories and jewelry so they enhance rather than distract from the look you want. Normally contrasting ties or scarves look best.
- Prepare to switch easily from formal to casual, if you want both types of shots. You could add or remove accessories, like a tie, scarf or jewelry. You could also take off your jacket or quickly restyle your hair.
Plus, consider grooming, due for a haircut or styling? (This also applies to a beard or mustache.) Get it done a few days in advance for natural look.
Headshot Tips for Photo Day
- Be rested and well hydrated. You look your best after a good night’s sleep and drinking an ample amount of water.
- Want photos with and without your glasses? Remove them 30 minutes or more before your session so your eyes adjust and the any marks on your nose go away. Request photos without glasses be done first and with them second.
- Check your face and hair. You may want to wash your face and pat it dry to freshen up or touch-up your makeup. And comb or adjust your hair. Bring along any supplies you may need.
- Remove items from your pockets. Also, remove a badge or company pin. They may not photograph properly.
- Plan to arrive early for your photo shoot so you look relaxed, not rushed.
You can do a last minute mirror check at the photo site. Then the Pinpoint photographer will assist you with your pose and facial expression. Contact us if you need any further headshot tips.